surveyIcon fax-machine home3 heart eye-crossed map road-sign siren accessibility magnifier cross check chevron-up chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right map-marker funnel binoculars health helpAndSupport-svg keepingSafe-svg localService-svg signpost-svg--cream signpost-svg--orange signpost-svg--red signpost-svg--teal signpost-svg--greyBlue professional-svg sexualHealthMatters-svg youSexAndRelations-svg
Safe Sex Berkshire - Logo


If you think you might have been exposed to HIV then you must start PEP medication as soon as possible after the episode of risk. PEP is available from sexual health clinics during opening hours.
If the clinic is closed DON'T DELAY, go to your nearest hospital A&E department for an assessment. The sooner you start to take the medication, the better chance you have of preventing HIV. Within 24 hours is best, but no later than 72 hours. After 72 hours PEP is unlikely to work. Your GP cannot prescribe PEP.

When the sexual health clinics are closed or during bank holidays there are other places you can go for support. You can receive help by calling NHS 111 on your phone or by visiting a pharmacy or GP.

Use this link to search for Pharmacies with late or 24 hour opening in Berkshire.

Use this link to search for GP walk in centres within Berkshire.

You can also find further help and information on this website using these links.

Back to top